Electric scooters have a longer history than most of us realize but, undoubtedly, have become a great alternative to personal cars and public transportation. Why? Well, there are plenty of reasons for that. First of all, they’re fun to ride. Most of the riders, young and old, find joy in riding electric scooters to school, work or just around the park. You can see it on their faces.
Another reason why electric scooters are gaining popularity is that…well, they’re electric. That means no fossil fuel, less environmental impact and more money in people’s pockets. In other words, they are cleaner and more cost-efficient.
And last but not least, you know how nerve-wracking traffic jams can be, right? People realized they can get from one place to another a lot easier using electric scooters. In the big cities that in itself can be a very strong reason to leave your car at home or at least a few blocks away and ride your “electric horse” to your destination.
So you might be curious to find out what are the best street-legal electric scooters for adults on the market right now. We want to make it easier for you so we picked 5 we think are worth your time and attention.
Our list of 5 best street-legal electric scooters.
|QIEWA-Q1Hummer||800W Brushless Motor|
|NANROBOT D4+||1000W / 2000W|
|GOTRAX GXL V2||250W Hub Motor|
|Glion Dolly||250W Brushless Motor||15 miles/charge|
|OUTSTORM||3200W (dual 1600W) brushless motor||Up to 67 miles/charge|
Features of the Qiewa Q1Hummer
- Best Use: Commute & casual riding, all-terrain, strong & durable, long-range, tough wheels
- Size & Weight: 5″ x 9.8″ x 47.6″, 55 lbs
- Load Limit: 550 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 10″ high profile pneumatic tires, dual disc brakes, 45° double shock protection
- Motor & Speed: 800W brushless motor, 35 mph top
- Battery & Range: 26Ah Lithium-ion, 60 miles range
- Extras: Aluminum alloys, IP65 waterproof, throttle with a display, foldable, anti-theft warning, front & brake light, USB charging. A well built electric scooter with seat for adults.
The Qiewa Q1Hummer electric scooter is our top choice due to a high-quality build and its many great features. The model is ideal for daily commutes as well as for all-terrain types of casual riding. The Q1Hummer is a fast, robust and durable electric scooter.
The Q1Hummer can hold a maximum load of 550lbs (249 kg) which is quite a lot compared to most street-legal electric scooters. It is propelled by an 800W brushless motor that can easily reach 35 miles an hour. The lithium-ion battery has a high capacity of 26Ah giving you a 60+ miles range. While riding you can plug and charge your mobile device via a USB plug.
The wheels are equipped with 10” pneumatic tires and each feature double 45° shock absorbers. A safe brake is well provided by disc brakes on both wheels.
Qiewa Q1Hummer weighs 55 lbs and can be quickly folded to the compact dimensions of about 3 feet which makes it easy to handle on public transportation, to fit inside the car trunk or to carry upstairs. It has an aluminum alloy body and it is waterproof (IP65).
The throttle on the handlebar features a display where you can see your current cruising speed. Front and brake lights are also featured and for safety reasons, the scooter can only be started using an anti-theft device. When tampered with, the alarm system will go off.
Qiewa Q1Hummer is one of the most powerful street-legal adult electric scooters on the market. It’s versatile and fun to ride. It does not include a seat but if you want one you can purchase a detachable one. Along with its weight capacity, the optional seat makes Qiewa Q1Hummer the best street-legal electric scooter for adults, a serious option to consider when it comes to daily commuting.
#2 NanRobot D4+
Features of NanRobot D4+
- Best Use: Commute & casual riding, leisure.
- Size & Weight: 48inch*44.9inch*22.5inch, about 59.5lbs
- Folding size: 11.8inch*43.3inch.
- Load Limit: MAX 330lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 10-inch high-quality tire, dual disc brakes, double shock absorption (6 shock absorbers)
- Motor & Speed: The front and rear dual drive, 1000W for a single drive, 2000W for a dual drive, 40 mph.
- Battery & Range: 52V 23AH lithium battery, 37.3-45 miles (under normal terrain and medium weight)
- Charging time: 3 hours
- Extras: LED Headlight and taillight, mudguards on front and rear wheels, Folding handlebar, USB charging port. LCD display.
NanRobot D4+ is a cool electric scooter to consider this year. It is propelled by two independent 1000W motors built in the front and rear wheel, which allow for a top speed of 40 mph. A featured option is that you can switch between single and dual motor drive, as well as eco mode for saving battery or turbo mode for maximum torque.
The maximum range is 45 miles – most of what you can expect to get out of the high capacity 52V 23Ah lithium battery.
Wheels are equipped with 10-inch pneumatic tires, front and rear disc brakes, and also 6 shock absorbers – 4 on the front wheel and 2 on the rear wheel.
NanRobot D4+ is a well equipped electric scooter; besides an awesome performance and a comfortable ride it also features an LCD display that details speed, drive mode, and battery life. It is a foldable electric scooter: you can easily collapse the handlebar, and take it with you inside a building or place it inside your car trunk.
Its weight won’t allow you to carry it for long but at least you can pick it up and carry it up a few stairs to your house or apartment if you need to.
Other features include lights on the front and rear to make the ride safer, a USB charging port and mudguards on both wheels.
Features of GOTRAX GXL V2
- Best Use: Commute & casual riding, leisure, fun, recreation.
- Size & Weight: Weight 26.5 lbs
- Folding size: 39.4″ x 6.3″ x 14.4″
- Load Limit: 220 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 8.5” pneumatic tires
- Motor & Speed: 250W hub motor, up to 15.5 mph
- Battery & Range: Lithium-ion 36V, up to 12.5 miles per charge
- Charging time: 4-5 hours
- Extras: Can tackle slopes up to 10 degrees, IP54 waterproof,
Since Gotrax already made a name in the industry with the very popular self-balancing hoverboards, bringing the GXL electric scooter on the market had a very good response – people already knew the level of quality they could expect.
Gotrax GXL is the Gotrax version of a well built mid-range electric scooter. With a sleek, stylish look and a balanced configuration, Gotrax GXL is a very serious option when it comes to personal transportation and fun rides.
Because it is quality constructed Gotrax GXL is a little bit heavier but that extra weight also ads a solid feel to it. You will not find a cheap or flimsy part of this fun machine. The overall look and design details are excellent.
When it comes to speed and range, Gotrax GXL is similar to other street-legal electric scooters in the same category. The 36V lithium-ion battery provides a ride of 12.5 miles per charge with a recharge time of about 4 hours. The 250watt front hub motor can propel the GXL and its rider at speeds up to 15.5 mph.
The set of wheels on Gotrax GXL is an extra great feature. These are 8.5-inch pneumatic tires which mean you get more comfort when you ride on rough surfaces, over bumps or cracks in the road.
The led-display piece is well integrated into the top of the handlebar and it shows your current speed and battery level. The throttle is on the right handlebar and the rear brake controller is on the left – very easy and comfortable to reach. The front led-light is also positioned on the center of the handlebar.
When it comes to the braking system, Gotrax GXL brings a surprising solution to the table. While the front brake is a regular, handle break, the rear one is a disc brake controlled by a small pedal at the back of the deck. The rider can reach and activate it with less effort while maintaining the grip on the handlebar.
The GXL folds down smoothly and locks on the rear mudguard which makes it easy to carry upstairs, put it in the trunk or hide it under your desk…or use it as a doorstopper ☺
#4 Glion Dolly
Features of Glion Dolly
- Best Use: Commute & casual riding, leisure, fun, recreation.
- Size & Weight: 28 lbs
- Folding size: 36x16x8 inches/92x20x30 cm
- Load Limit: 255 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 8-inch honeycomb never-flat tires
- Motor & Speed: 250W (Peak 600 w) brushless, gearless electric hub motor, 15 mph
- Battery & Range: LG Lithium-Ion 36 V, 7.8 Ah, 15 miles
- Charging time: 2 hours 75%, 3.5 hours 100%
- Extras: battery life of 1000+ cycles (3-5 years), Frame of 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum alloy (powder-coated), patented vertical self-standing dolly feature, 1-second foot-actuated folding/unfolding, Scooter cover sold separately, pedestrian bell, front light.
Are you ready to start having fun while commuting? You might have tried to find the right electric scooter but you couldn’t single one out on the long list. Let us introduce you to one that will definitely stand out.
Made of waterproof, high-quality materials, the Glion Dolly is a vertical, self-standing, easy-to-use foldable electric scooter best suited for daily commutes and leisure rides. It is well made and reliable and it can deliver the boost it takes to carry an average adult at a speed of 15 miles an hour when fully charged. It is propelled by a 250W (Peak 600 w) brushless, gearless electric hub motor which also makes this e-scooter very quiet.
Glion Dolly is one of the street-legal electric scooters for any kind of adult rider. Whether you are a well-experienced rider or a newbie, Glion Dolly offers the safety you need. Its braking system is smooth and secure, with an anti-lock electronic brake safely located inside the rear hub motor. The wheels are equipped with 8-inch tires with honeycomb interior developed by the military. In other words, these tires are zero maintenance: you won’t have to inflate them and they won’t go flat.
Riding in the rain? No worries. All Glion Dolly’s controls on the handle are water-resistant and easy to use. A twist-grip accelerator is located on the right handle and a twist-grip brake on the left. The battery indicator display is also mounted on the handlebar so you can keep track of the charge status.
Glion Dolly is also energy efficient due to its 36v, 7.8 Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery. On a full charge, you can easily reach a range of 15 miles and the advertized cost is 1 dollar worth of electricity for 500 miles.
It weighs just 28 pounds and it can easily be folded and carried around using a retractable dolly handle and roller wheels. When using the cover, it looks like a rolling carry-on suitcase. The folding is fast – 1 second – due to a foot-activated folding system and the folding size is 36x16x8 inches.
The Glion Dolly street-legal adult electric scooter is a remarkable mid-range electric ride that can make your commuting time as enjoyable as possible. The features presented are proof that it brings together most of the technology available to make up a really good alternative to many adult electric scooters on the market right now.
Features Of OUTSTORM
- Best Use: Commute & casual riding, leisure, fun, recreation.
- Size & Weight: 101 lbs
- Unfolding size: 47x26x53 inches
- Load Limit: 485 LBS
- Wheels / Tires: 11-inch Tire pneumatic tire off-road tire or Road tire
- Motor & Speed: 3200W (dual 1600W) brushless motor, 56 mph
- Battery & Range: 20Ah Battery Range: 46 Miles / 25Ah Battery Range: 52 Miles / 26Ah Battery Range: 56 Miles / 30Ah Battery Range: 61 Miles / 35Ah Battery Range: 67 Miles
- Charging time: 6-8 hours to 100%
- Extras: Front and back oil brake Electronic blackout brake, Front and back shock absorption, Dual Multi-function headlight/One LED highlight/dual rear brake explosion-flashing light
If you are one of those looking for more muscle in the street-legal electric scooters, then the Outstorm might be for you. This riding machine can reach 56 mph and has a maximum travel range starting at 43 miles with different stronger battery options.
You’re looking for a reliable braking system? Outstorm has the best braking performance with regenerative charging. It prevents premature locking of the mechanical brake when on sandy or slippery riding surfaces.
When it comes to suspension, Outstorm offers a high impact PU suspension that allows you to have a smooth ride regardless of the roughness of the surface.
The ultra-wide off-road tires can run with high-grip on dirt, sand or mountain-like terrain.
DISCLAIMER (model) We have made this list of street-legal electric scooters based on the top speeds that these scooters can reach, some of them with small modifications. We are not saying you should ride them at that speed, or that you should make any kind of modification on your scooter. In fact, the legal limit for scooters that do not require license or registration is 20mph in most states, and any kind of tampering with your scooter will void the warranty.